Lately, I have been trying to follow a more vegan diet. Some of you might not know what vegan means so let me explain it real quick. It basically means that you don’t eat any animal products, so no meat, fish, dairy, eggs, honey, etc. etc. It is a step further than eating like a vegetarian you could say. I want to eat more vegan because I think it is better for my health, animals and the environment. Although I do occasionally eat eggs, fish and honey, but I never eat dairy products because of my cow milk allergy.
Eating vegan isn’t always easy, but there are many options to choose from still. With many recipes you can just leave out the animal product, like in this one for example. I got inspiration from this delicious rice salad recipe from a Dutch supermarket called Albert Heijn. I made this before with crab and mayonaise but the vegan version is tasty as well!
Ingredients – 2 people
- 150g Rice – If you want to be really healthy you can use brown rice. I personally don’t like it so I will just use white rice, haha. Shame on me ;).
- 1 ripe avocado
- A little can of green peas – about 180g
- 1 spring onion – Or more if you like it spicy
- Half a cucumber
- Lamb’s lettuce
- 1 lime
- Vegan mayonaise – I use Mayolijn from Remia
- Black pepper
Let’s get started!
1. Prepare the rice according to the instructions.
2. While the rice is cooking we start working on our greens. Grab a big bowl that will fit all the food. Cut up the cucumber, avocado and spring onions.
3. Put it all in the bowl and add the peas and lamb’s lettuce.
4. Drain the rice and rinse it with cold water so it cools down quickly. When the rice is (almost) cold you can add it to the rest of the salad.
5. Mix a spoon full of vegan mayonaise – more or less 😉 – and the juce of a lime with the salad.
6. Add some salt and pepper and you’re done!
I have to admit, I LOVE this salad! It is so tasty! Besides, it is easily made and vegan. If you try out this recipe tag me in your photo on Instagram (@Tristartist.nl). I would love to see your creations. Also, I am always up for more delicious vegan recipes. If you have any, feel free to share!