If you know me well, you know that I love sushi. I love to go out for sushi, but I also make it at home from time to time, as you can read here. Now that I got better at it, I found great new combos for vegan sushi and I am able to prepare it faster, I still find that it takes a bit of time. So when I saw this amazing picture of a sushi bowl from Soy’nCherry on Instagram and got inspired. It is easy and quick to make, so you can eat your delicious food sooner.
INGREDIENTS – 2 PEOPLE – 30 MINUTES
Sushi Poke Bowl
- 250g sushi rice
- 5tp sushi vinegar
- 1tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- half a carrot
- half a cucumber
- 1 spring onion
- 1 avocado
- 60g seaweed
- soy sauce
- vegan mayo
- hot sauce (sambal for example)
- black pepper
- garlic powder
HOW TO PREPARE
- Start with the sushi rice. Read the instructions on the package carefully. I bought mine at a Dutch supermarket called Albert Heijn. This is what the instructions say:‘Add 250g sushi rice to 350ml of cold water and bring it to the boil. Simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
- Turn off the heat but leaving the lid on, leave to stand for another 15 minutes. Important: Don’t open the lid during the 15 minutes.
- Next up, you can make the marinade. Mix 5 tbsp rice vinegar with 1 tsp sugar and a tsp of salt. Heat it up in the microwave for less than a minute. A little warning, it will smell! But don’t worry, the sushi will turn out delicious
- Gradually fold in the seasoning mixture until the rice has cooled to room temperature. Your rice is ready!
- While your rice is cooking, you can chop the vegetables. I grated the carrot with a grater, although I am deadly afraid of that thing, haha.
- Only the soybeans need to be cooked for 2 minutes and then you can add the vegetables to your rice!
My husband came up with this recipe for a spicy vegan mayo. This adds a bit of kick to it.
- Start with two table spoons of vegan mayo.
- Add half a teaspoon of hot sauce.
- Next up are the spices. Add some salt, black pepper and garlic powder to your liking.
- And your done!